Table Topic - Intro, Body and EndingWe will practice today one of the fundamental aspect of any speech. Also, this is one of easily improved aspect. Select any one of the below topic and practice giving a table topic speech with good introduction, body and ending. You can give same speech twice. You can also practice solo at home before doing group practice.1. Why did I join iJam ? 2. How did I land up in Barclays ? 3. What is my dream job ? 4. What would I do if I win 1 million dollar lottery ? 5. What would I do if I am captured by aliens ? For Rigorous Solo Practice of this activity, click here |
Related Reading
Every speech, including table topic speech, has at least three crucial parts- Introduction
- Body
- Ending
Understanding the importance of these components of speech can significantly improve speech.
Let's look at how. Below are various versions of a table topic speech. Try to spot what differences between versions make them more effective speech.
First Attempt
"Why Did I join iJam"
I am very scared of being asked to talk on random topics, so I wanted to take the bull by the horns, and do it often. What better way to do that than actually practicing doing something I fear, and master that skill.
When Opportunity struck in the club to form a small team to learn and practice table topics rigourously, I thought, this was my chance !
This speech, while it makes sense, is tough to read because it does not provide a smooth transition from topic given ("Why did I join iJam?") to the content (speech). It also does miserable job of catching attention and giving a conclusion. It's like a nice food in shoddy packaging.
Second Attempt
"Why Did I join iJam"
I Joined iJam to improve my table topic skills.
I am very scared of being asked to talk on random topics, so I wanted to take the bull by the horns, and do it often. What better way to do that than actually practicing doing something I fear, and master that skill.
When Opportunity struck in the club to form a small team to learn and practice table topics rigourously, I thought, this was my chance !
That's why I joined iJam
Third Attempt
"Why Did I join iJam"
My father told me once that, the only way through fear is through it. As child I was very scared of ice skating and this is the advice that made me embrace ice skating then.
Fast forward 15 years and now I am very scared of being asked to talk on random topics. What better way to remove the fear than actually practicing what I fear.
When Opportunity struck in the club to form a small team to learn and practice table topics rigourously, I thought, this was my chance !
That's why I joined iJam
You will notice that the starting of speech now is more attention grabbing and a good intro to the body of speech. It make the body of speech more attractive and understandable. It's like serving appetizer before main course of food. The ending however is still lukewarm.
Fourth Attempt
"Why Did I join iJam"
My father told me once that, the only way through fear is through it. As child I was very scared of ice skating and this is the advice that made me embrace ice skating then.
Fast forward 15 years and now I am very scared of being asked to talk on random topics. What better way to remove the fear than actually practicing what I fear.
When Opportunity struck in the club to form a small team to learn and practice table topics rigourously, I thought, this was my chance !
Every step you take today may seem inconsequential in short run. However, every step you take today has a long tail. In few years from now, there may be a big impact of decision you made today. This I believe is one such decision. What long tail decision have you made recently ? I joined iJam.
You will notice that ending of the speech is now much more memorable. It also connects back to the main topic of the speech, making it easier for listeners to understand your response.
If you compare this to cooking, the body of speech is main course of the meal, introduction is the appetizer and the ending the sweet dish after the food. You can significantly improve the speech by adding good appetizer and sweet dish to your main course. Look at activity C, D and E to learn how to improve these components.
Rigorous Solo Practice Exercises
These exercises are meant for taking this activity to next level by intense practice done solo.
- One
No comments:
Post a Comment